Monday, October 25, 2010

Caramel Apples

So I've always wanted to make caramel apples from scratch. Candy making has never been something I was good at, but I finally decided to give it a try. 11 apples & 4 batches of caramel later, I think I finally mastered it.

Attempt #1 & #2


This was the batch where I followed the directions exactly...it looks like CRAP & tasted just about the same.

Attempt #3


So this one was better, but looks are deceiving...the caramel was too hard & really, really, REALLY chewy. Not good for your teeth at ALL!!

Attempt #4

Finally!!! This was what I was waiting for! The caramel was soft & PERFECT! Now I just need to decide how to put some toppings on it & I could sell these things for like $10! Just kidding, I could never get into it that much. YAY for caramel apples!!

9 comments:

Ashley said...

One word: YUMMY!!! I want one....or ten! :)

Unknown said...

We can totally make you some...or one, they are quite large. Maybe once you return from Idaho, for your birthday!! A belated gift!

Leanne said...

yumm!!! maybe we should add those to the family party treats.:)

Ashley said...

I'll take it! :)

Unknown said...

Leanne, we can totally add those to our family party treats...since we usually make the treats anyway!

Ashley, we're totally going to make you one now...or two! Maybe one for Kallee ;)

Ashlee said...

My mouth started watering just looking at them! :)

April said...

Carla & Colleen... I love your blog. Makes me miss you more though! I wish I was closer because those apples look delicious!

Jen said...

Mmmmm, those look yummy. And like a fun activity. Though it always gets frustrating to try something so many times; at least you had lots of sugary makings to snack on as you made your attempts. :)

Zach and Nikki said...

Zach thought the crappy one looked really tasty. Maybe you should make one of those for him?
Nah, but way to persist! Perhaps because I know just how you would have explained this in person, I had to chuckle a bit with this post.